Frequentky asked questions
Quick Links - Bankruptcy FAQs | Civil Litigation FAQs
Do you have problems paying your debts?If the pressure of debts and creditor collections is getting to be too much to live with, you should really start thinking about your bankruptcy options. You have the right under federal law to file for bankruptcy relief from your creditors. Overall, bankruptcy is a legal proceeding designed to give a person an opportunity get a fresh financial start. Bankruptcy can be a very useful and effective process to deal with your financial problems but it is not the answer to all financial problems or the right step for everyone. We at Abbasi & Associates can guide you through the whole bankruptcy process and make sure you have the right information for your particular situation.
Is Bankruptcy the Right Option for You?If you've come to realize that you're fighting a losing battle with your debt situation, contact our office. We offer free consultations to discuss your financial situation, and we'll only recommend bankruptcy if our review of your case shows that you'll benefit from the process.
What Debts Can Be and Cannot Be Discharged in Bankruptcy?One of the strongest benefits of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is its ability to discharge all or most of your debt (depending on the type of debt you have). The following are examples of types of debt that can be discharged in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy:
- Credit card debt
- Debt from unpaid medical bills
- Defaulted rent payments (payments due prior to filing and listed on the schedule of debts)
- Defaulted homeowners association fees (fees due prior to filing; you may need to pay these if you plan to remain in the home)
- Defaulted utility bills
- Car accident liability judgments (unless the accident resulted from drunk driving)
- Certain unpaid taxes that are at least three to four years old (state and federal tax obligations are treated differently)
- Unsecured personal loans (loans not secured by collateral)
- Certain secured loans, such as a car loan (as long as you are willing to surrender the collateral)
- Certain other types of debt
Why File for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?Here are some of the main reasons why someone would enter the commitment of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case:
- Ineligibility for Chapter 7 debt discharge due either to a relatively high household income or a prior Chapter 7 discharge within the previous eight years
- Need to protect nonexempt assets that would otherwise be liquidated in Chapter 7 for unsecured creditors
- Opportunity to cure defaults under a mortgage or car loan over the full term of the Chapter 13 debt repayment plan
- Need to pay substantial nondischargeable debts for recent taxes, student loans or family court support orders
Are You Facing Foreclosure on Your Home?Debt problems are overwhelming. Any anxiety or pressure you've already felt is augmented exponentially when you receive the dreaded notice of foreclosure. At the Abbasi & Associates, we are dedicated to helping individuals and couples obtain debt relief. We have the experience and knowledge to answer your questions about bankruptcy and foreclosure, and we apply our individualized approach to resolving your legal concerns. We can help you understand what to expect in the foreclosure process and decide if you would benefit from filing for bankruptcy in order to stop foreclosure. If you are several months behind on your mortgage payments, or you have received a notice of default from your lender, it is time to start thinking about how to overcome your debt problems. Contact our California foreclosure protection lawyers at for a free consultation.
Civil Litigation FAQs
What is civil litigation?Civil litigation is the act of taking a dispute into a legal setting in order to seek financial compensation or damages for the failure to provide a service that was contractually obligated or for damages resulting from an injustice or harm caused by an individual or business entity.
Why do I need an attorney?Many individuals and businesses face tough and complex circumstances in their daily lives where they feel they have been wronged or an injustice has occurred. They may feel they have no recourse. With the help of Abbasi & Associates, we can provide you with legal representation that can fight to recover the damages you are entitled to based on the situation you may be facing. As legal professionals, we can honestly advise you as to the merits of your case and proceed with the correct legal strategy.
What types of civil litigation actions can you help with?Our firm is well versed in all manner of general civil litigation including general business law, business litigation, business & commercial transactions, contract law, insurance law/coverage disputes, and tort law. We also provide representation for individuals, and representation for business owners, as well as representing individuals for personal injury, or in a Bankruptcy matter.
How can you help a business owner with a dispute?When a business owner is facing a contract dispute or having trouble with a commercial transaction, our firm has extensive experience to bring to bear in your defense. Having successfully represented clients against Fortune 500 companies, large banks and business, we understand the nature of business law and civil litigation and provide our clients with our extensive skill as trial attorneys.
Quick Links - Bankruptcy FAQs | Civil Litigation FAQs